Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oasis of the Seas


So the biggest and baddest of cruise ships is now afloat, and I've been reading up on it.

It's quite impressive - as witnessed by these interesting if useless facts:

  • Over 110,000 pounds of ice cubes are produced every day
  • The propellers are 20 feet in diameter
  • There are 16 passenger decks, plus several large holds filled with filth and squalor for the slaves (I'm sorry - crew) to sleep in.

The ship is broken into 8 different neighbourhoods, including Central Park (includes muggers!), Streetscape (includes a No Stabbing zone for the children), and assorted other entertainment areas, such as pools, climbing walls, theaters, alligator pits, punji stick booby traps, and a bingo hall. I may have made some of those up.

In all - it is quite exciting and I can't wait to go for a drool on it when I'm older.

Getting back to the neighbourhood theme - I think to make it feel like a real neighbourhood, what they should do is string up clothes lines between the cabins in this photo so guests can do their laundry.



That would really make it feel like a borough in New York or some other decrepit slum.

I suspect you'd make more friends and meet more interesting people by hanging out your undies each day than you ever would dining with the snobs in first class. Just sayin...

No comments: