Saturday, December 4, 2010

Silly Job Interview

“So – you’re applying for the position of Level 3 Mandarin Orange Tissue Wrapper are you?”

“Yes sir!  I think I have the required skill and education needed to wrap oranges in those little tissues – absolutely!”

“Let’s take a look at your resume.  Hmmm…BSc from Yale, Harvard MBA, summer fruit picking.  What kind of fruit did you pick?” 

“Peaches, mainly.  Some apricots.”

“You don’t have much relevant citrus fruit experience, do you?”

 “No sir, but one summer they let me put stickers on apples for a day or two.  I thought I’d aim for something in that area someday.”

“Well I’m afraid you’re just not qualified for this particular position.  We do have an opening in our management office, but I’m afraid it would mean having to work with computers and such, for a much higher salary.”

“I don’t want to sound snobby or anything, sir, but I think that sort of work is beneath me.  I went to Harvard for a reason and if I can’t wrap oranges or put stickers on apples then I guess I’ll just have to look elsewhere.”

“Follow your dream, young man.  All the best to you.  And if you ever feel you might want to join the lowly ranks of managers and office workers – you just give me a call.”

“Thank you for your time.”

1 comment:

P Shane McAfee said...

Does this job interview relate to a specific historical event?


I have certainly heard the term overqualified a few times in my career.