Monday, May 10, 2010

Sprinkler Fiddling

You may have seen the phrase 'hilarity ensued' before. Well, I am the reason why that sentence was created.

Yeah. So I was fiddling with the sprinkler heads on the back lawn the other day, and one of them wasn't rotating as it should have. We have those ones that slowly squirt back and forth over quite a wide area.

Anyway, I go get the little screwdriver thingy with which you are supposed to adjust such things. Now, I thought the little adjustment screw on the top was to change how much water squirted out, not the rotation of the sprinkler.

Turns out I was adjusting the thing to spray in all directions, instead of just squirting MORE.

"Ah," I said.

The, uh, sprinkler head in question was right by our back patio, which we have turned into sort of an outdoor room, with chairs, a carpet, blinds to provide privacy from neighbours, priceless artworks, and so forth.

After turning on the sprinklers and forgetting all about my adjustments, I proceeded inside to while away my day.

Later, I happened to look down from the kitchen window and saw our patio was wet - which it should not have been.

I rushed downstairs to see what was going on, opened the sliding door, and got a face full of water spray. Like an idiot I just stood there, in shock at my misfortune. Our TV and interior furniture also stood there in shock, getting soaked like idiots as well.

The sprinkler slowly turned, I rushed out and shut everything off, and surveyed the damage.

Thankfully it was just water so there was none. Or at least, none I'll admit to.

The planter got watered though, which was one of my assigned tasks for that day, so that was nice.

All in all I'd call it a successful tool adjustment, because that's just the way I roll.

No comments: